Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The Lovely Piles

Accounting makes sense to me.  It is not subjective. 
 There is a right answer and a wrong answer, and can be extremely therapeutic... 
An expense is an expense... an asset is an asset.
There is a place for everything and everything goes in it's place... 


I love love love diving into a box of chaos and turning it into lovely array of 
Income Statements and Balance Sheets.  
Like a huge jigsaw puzzle... that lovely pile of assorted cardboard pieces 
slowly but surely becomes a beautiful picture - one piece at a time.
The pieces fit - or they don't.  It makes sense.
Looking at this makes my heart pound... the same way a messy box of paperwork does!
I melt into a pile of jigsaw jello...
am transported into the corner of my grandmother's dining room... 
where there was always a puzzle in process...


I sort through through the debris of debits and credits and assets and liabilities and 
receipts with scribbles I cannot read...enter them one by one into the program of choice, 
whittle down the pile one page at a time until my desk is cleared and 
each piece of paper is appropriately filed... each entry properly categorized.
I feel exhilarated as I arrive at the end - as the last piece of the puzzle is found.

They say the study of music helps kids with their math...
I say let them do PUZZLES!


My family struggles to believe I enjoy the process.
They question my sanity as they spy the piles all over the room... 
I see the piles and feel giddy!

I love the process... the whole process... the one-at-a-timeness of it all.
When I'm done I feel such a sense of accomplishment...
so happy and calm... I only wish my office looked the way I felt!
But that is another goal... someday...

Grammy would love making a puzzle out of this photo... just hard enough...
Her father, my great grandfather wrote a math book "The Theory of Nines"... 
I wonder if he loved puzzles... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...