Monday, March 05, 2012

Hunger Reading Games


When my Words with Friends starts lapsing into accounting terms,
I know it is time to turn the computer off - all the way OFF - and crawl into bed to read.

Some might think that reading a book after a long day of accounting
would be the furthest thing from fun.
But I want to get lost in someone else's words... 
with no goal of balancing... or having to explain why a liability is not an expense!

I don't want a "can't put it down" type of book... for I may only be awake for a few!  

I love that feeling when the numbers begin to subside as my
brain melts into the scenario of the pages...
This year my choice surprised me.  
I found it at the library with the intention of giving it to my 7-year old granddaughter.
I started reading it just because it was within reach.
I was never a big fan of Beverly Cleary's books as a child, 
but I am enjoying immensely reading about her life, growing up in Portland... 
A Girl From Yamhill


There is something comforting reading the familiar names of parks... libraries... streets... 
knowing exactly where they are, seeing them in my head, that makes me feel one with the author.  
I walk down the street to the Roseway Theater with her,
as if I am the only one who could possibly understand what she is writing about.
It is simple... sweet... like reading her journal.
I imagine my grandparents going through the same struggles...
with the "cold winds blowing in from the gorge"... taking the bus downtown...
yet it is a book I can put down when my eyes slam shut...
and I can wait until tomorrow night to continue the journey with Beverly... 
in Portland, Oregon... my home...

I've been getting pressure to pick up a different book that seems to be careening
through family and friends.  The more everyone raves about it, the more I shy away... 
When it is no longer a "hot commodity" I will pick it up and relish every word.  
For now, I enjoy watching my young granddaughter read at a level
several grades higher than her 2nd grade classmates... 
such pride as she reads the same book that her mother and aunt are reading!  
She tries to explain the plot, warning me that I must read it before I see the movie 
(coming out next month).  I am just not interested...  
What DOES interest me, is that fact that she loves to draw lately... 
and this is as close as I am getting to this book right now... until AFTER tax season!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...