Sunday, July 01, 2012

You Want a Piece of Me?

Will we crochet in Heaven?  
I like to think so... forever creating soft, lovely things 
without the worry of arthritis taking over our delicate knuckles... 
or running out of yarn!  
Another Heavenly blessing will surely be 
ALWAYS finding that elusive beginning piece! 

Maybe we will just close our eyes and create whatever delicious color we imagine! 
Oh think of the yarn we could weave...  
the patterns and colors... the endless possibilities!

In the meantime, we have Michael's... Joann's... Hobby Lobby...  
and my closet... full of yarn for future projects I dream of...  

      A little bit of this...                              A little bit of that...


 and I forgot about these...
I always have ten projects going at once... I admit it...
I am a Project Polygamist!
Projects in my head... projects on my bed... projects in the car... 
projects for today... projects for tomorrow... 
and unfinished projects from yesterday.  
I love them all!
The unfinished ones give me a sense of purpose,
and I rejoice when I complete one, 
yet feel a sense of loss as I say good-bye to my "friend of the month"
- for each project is much more than just yarn and a hook.  
Each has its own story.


As the metal dances between my fingers, 
my mind wanders to the reaction of the recipient...  the use of the project.
I imagine the baby wrapped in the softness I feel around my fingers...
the darling photographs they can capture in that beanie, even if it is tooooo big!
the afghan lovingly folded on the back of their couch...
my daughter actually wearing that neck shrug thing...
oh wow... she did!

I wonder if it will bring them happiness?  
Will they think I'm silly?
Will they use it?
It doesn't really matter... the joy is in the journey...
***
I recently discovered a book by Mac Barnett called EXTRA YARN - 
a magical tale of a little girl and the ability to change the world around her.  
She finds a box of yarn, and makes herself and Mars (her furry companion) a sweater.  
And so it begins.  
Her kindness and generosity spreads and pretty soon the whole town is warm and cozy, 
covered in her creations.  
Just a box of yarn... which never ends.  

I don't profess to be "changing the world" - 
but there is something magical about transforming a simple ball of yarn 
into a handmade gift... and it brings me JOY.  
I can give my friends and family (and even strangers on occasion)
 A PIECE OF ME...
a little bit of Debbie to carry with them... 
to wear on their head... or tuck in a drawer...
to shield their hand while baking... 
to snuggle up with at night...


It's my way of paying it forward... 
like a big Cat's Cradle connection between us all!
http://www.bailagoldenthal.com/painting/cats_cradle/cats_cradle.html
You want a piece of me?  
All you need to do is ask... 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...