Friday, July 20, 2012

Fly me to the Moon!.

It warms my heart, the way our country rallies together in time of tragedies.
Whether it be a tornado... a flood... a bombing... or a senseless shooting.  
Whether an act of nature... or an act of a madman... 
We stare at the television, absorbing every detail... we ache for those caught in the middle. 
We mourn for those who lost loved ones... and cling closer to our own families.
We talk about it on Facebook.  
We pray... 

The heartbreak... the fear... the confusion.  
We need healing... we need forgiveness... we need TO forgive... 
somehow.

I don't want to discount the horrific event Colorado experienced today.
But I want to remember another July 20th in our history... 
The day we rallied together for a different reason.
The day our country swelled with pride, instead of tears...
as we celebrated the first footsteps on the moon!
Do you remember this day?  Did you dream of working for NASA?

I pray there will soon be happy news for our country... 
something that will bring us together with hugs and laughter...
and we will pray with gratitude instead of desperation.
In the meantime, here are some memories of yesteryear...
from a page in my scrapbook (hoarder that I am).
As usual, I have musical accompaniment!

July 20, 1969
I thought I was so clever... it's pretty rustic compared to today's scrapbooks!
 Check out that price:  TEN CENTS

 Front page of the Oregonian!

Our heroes...

 That historic quote... 

 Don't lock the door honey...

 More historic photos

 Nice to see that he added "and returning him safely to earth"

Even "Today's Chuckle" - wonder if the Oregonian still does this up in the corner...?

***

Life is so fragile...
never pass up an opportunity to let someone know you care...

We lost a boy from our very own area in the Colorado tragedy.
Ashley LeMieux honored him in her blog:
COLORADO SHOOTING- A HERO IN THE MIDST OF TRAGEDY

***

UPDATE

August 25, 2012

So soon after posting this... he is now gone.
RIP Mr. Armstrong...
His humility makes him even more of a HERO in my eyes...
Neil-armstrong-05

Neil%20Armstrong%20headshot,%20as%20NASA%20astronaut

Neil today
http://www.stumptownblogger.com/2012/08/first-man-on-the-moon-dies-at-82.html
Here is how the family suggested we honor him... I like it.





1 comment:

  1. Oh Debbie.....I am SO sorry!! That is has got to be one of the hardest things to go thru. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

    And how did I know you would pick that song? LOVE it....and yes, you can finish you dad's book's. You have the gift.

    I'm not sure why I can't remember the moon landing?? It was between our freshman & sophomore years. I keep thinking it was a couple years before that for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...