Saturday, May 26, 2012

I REMEMBER

There is more to my father than many people realize. 
He is mostly remembered for being "Addie Bobkins"... King of the Boo Boos,
with Puppets over his shoulder, and Kids cheering for Popeye Cartoons... 
strumming his 12-string guitar, singing Puff the Magic Dragon,
always accompanied by his loyal sidekick FEATHER, a beautiful, impeccably trained collie.   
Not many know he was Student Body President at Lewis and Clark College
majoring in Psychology and studying to be in the Ministry, 
or about his years in politics,  and on the School Board...
or his ability to give a 30-minute impromptu speech when the President was late... 
or about his years teaching motivational real estate seminars...
or of the children's books and poetry he has written.

When asked to describe himself, he would simply say 
"I'm a DRUMMER"

But my father was also a Veteran... in the Air Force during the Korean War
he served as Entertainment Director at McChord Air Force Base.
I'm sure he loved it, but sadly, he was embarrassed as well.  
When asked what he did in the service, he would avoid the answer.  
I'm not sure he ever reconciled with the fact that he actually SERVED his country...
that his talents were NEEDED - that he brought HAPPINESS to the troops! 

This Memorial Day
I am proud to introduce my father,
Robert Harold Adkins, United States Air Force

Thank you for instilling in me a love of my country...
and teaching to pray for whomever is in the White House...
Republican... Democrat... black... white or purple... 


I REMEMBER...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...