Monday, September 03, 2012

The Art of SCI-AUNT-OLOGY

Things are changing around my house... grown-up children are finally becoming true grown-ups... and I'm having a harder time than I imagined.  I have dreamed about the "Empty Nest" experience.  Whenever my friends pined away for their children... I was jealous.  Now it is finally happening to me... and I'm not sure I'm dealing with it very well.  A lot of strange arguments that start for nothing, and end up with yelling and slamming of doors... and I find myself saying things I don't mean...

So... now that my mother is gone... I turn to my mother's sister for guidance.  Aunt's are the BEST, aren't they?  They love us like a friend... laugh with us like a sister... guide us like a mother.  They give us unconditional love without all the mother/daughter garbage!  

My wonderful Aunt Barbara lost her husband just as they were getting close to their empty nest... She moved to an island to find peace... brought her mother (my Grammy) to this haven island, becoming her caretaker the last few years of her life.  She is an avid volunteer, and has since remarried... adding another group of family and friends to her never-ending stream of visitors.  I know we bring her much JOY... but also drive her CRAZY!

Keeping her calm is her sewing machine, her shiny crochet hook, and long ferry rides...


Last week, I was complaining (as usual) about my household changes... she listened... and listened... and listened some more.  Then she responded with a wonderful letter.

I would like to share five things she told me:

1.     CHANGE IS THE NEW NORMAL

2.     LETTING GO IS THE BEST GIFT YOU CAN GIVE YOUR KIDS 

3.     SLAMMING DOORS CLEARS THE AIR

4.     KIDS ARE RESILIENT AS LONG AS THE ADULTS ARE OK AROUND THEM

5.     MAKE IT OK

MAKE IT OK... like that Nike slogan, JUST DO IT... kind of like that cute scene in Spanglish.  Have you ever scene that movie?  It is really adorable... and kind of thought provoking at times (in spite of having Adam Sandler as the lead).  After spazzoid mother (Tea Leoni) buys clothes that are too tight for her daughter (Darling Sarah Steele),  Flor (How much more gorgeous can you get than Paz Vega?)  secretly alters them.  In the morning she asks Bernice to Just Try it On - but of course, Bernice doesn't realize it has been altered, and doesn't want to.  Flor repeats it a few times JUST try it on... Just try it ON.... Just TRY it on... then finally yelling  JUST TRY IT ON!...  same philosophy....  Just MAKE it ok... Just make it OK... however you say it...
Here - watch the scene for yourself....  I love this movie

But I digress into my ADHD land of the unknown.
It's time to take my Adderall and 
check my inbox to see if I have any more scriptures from the 

Book of SCI-AUNT-OLOGY!


I love you Aunt Barbie Doll!

WITH YOUR HELP... I WILL MAKE IT OK!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...